"Sand Worms" are one of the forms the Hilinara parasitic race encountered on Tarkus. Appearing as underground, tunneling annelids. Sand Worms will attempt to cover their victims in aphrodisiac slime, then parasitize their anal cavities with their parasitic form colloquially called "Butt Bugs".
The sand worm you’re fighting is currently burrowing in the sand around you. You can see where it is by following the small bulge it makes in the sandy earth. Whatever you try to do to it now will likely not have much effect on it. Maybe you should wait until it is exposed so that you can do more damage?
Outside of their larger body, males are small insects connected to disproportionately large penises. They're often described as silly-looking and can barely move when erect. Females are long, segmented, and shaped vaguely like butt plugs. There are three female subtypes.
- The most common type is described as beige with smooth skin.
- The second most common one is slightly larger and has bumpy green skin.
- The rarest type is twice the size of the others and both its underbelly and a stripe along its back are bright orange.
Sand Worms are a hostile encounter and will engage in combat with the player character upon contact.
It is possible to increase or disable their encounters by reading a "Sand Worms" warning in a bulletin board at the Makeshift Gangplank between Novahome and the Rust Fields and choosing how Steele feels about it.
Sand Worms can be encountered everywhere west of the Scything Glade but are rare even at max frequency. While going through any anal pregnancy, including fertilized Sand Worm eggs, only males will be encountered.
Sand worms remain buried, and will only come out occasionally to throw lobs of an aphrodisiac goo that will cause lust damage.
- Kinetic Resistance: -95 %
- Electric Resistance: -95 %
- Burning Resistance: -95 %
- Freezing Resistance: -95 %
- Corrosive Resistance: -95 %
- Poison Resistance: -95 %
Sand Worms are all but invulnerable while underground and agile but deceptively fragile when exposed. Simply wait until this happens then hit the worm with your strongest attack.
After defeating a Sand Worm, Steele can choose to use the worm as a living sex toy, capture it if the worm is male, or voluntarily submit to infestation if the worm is female.
- Note that only one male can be captured(after which it becomes a Key item) and that voluntary infestation will still cause the two parasites to fight for dominance if one is already present.
- Also note that the female's type is described one screen before the victory choices are presented.
After defeating Steele, the worm reacts differently based on its gender and whether or not Steele is already infested.
- Males will determine whether Steel is infested with a female or not. If so, the male will inseminate the player character's parasite through anal sex. If not, the worm gets angry and instead fucks Steele senseless with its larger form's tentacle-tongues.
- Females will always attempt to infest the player character. If a female parasite is already present, the two will fight each other inside of Steele's anus to determine which one will remain.
- If the two parasites are different types, beige will always beat green, green will always beat orange, and orange will always beat beige.
Sand worms drop no loot or credits but are worth 500 XP.
Female sand worms can infest the player character, producing a series of effects that affect Steele's "Bowels." Size of the Bowels is added to the Belly size.
- Effect "Butt Bug" (hidden) - Indicates infection by a sand worm.
- Green version only: Effect "Butt Bug Egg Cycle" (hidden) - produces a hilinara egg periodically.
The three female variants have different egg-laying behaviors:
- Common beige females remain dormant until a male inseminates them through anal sex, after which they lay fifteen eggs in Steele's anus that gestate for one week and hatch into normal butt bugs.
- Uncommon green females will continuously lay one egg in Steele's anus every eight hours. These eggs remain until inseminated by a male through anal sex, after which they gestate for only an hour and hatch into normal butt bugs.
- Rare orange-striped females remain dormant until a male inseminates them through anal sex, after which they lay a single large egg in Steele's anus that gestates for ninety days and hatches into an intelligent hybrid.
- Orange-striped females are particularly large and cause significant but temporary gaping when first infesting the player character.
- According to the Codex, hybrids inherit several traits from their carriers. At the moment, however, Nursery descriptions barely change to reflect this.
- V-Ko and Vi can remove attached butt bugs after the 'Examination' and choosing 'Treat B.Bug' from their menu.
- Dr. Lash can remove attached butt bugs after undergoing any of his 'Services'.
- Immuno-Boosters can be taken to kill the Butt Bugs once they are inside the player's body.
Losing to a female sand worm results in infection. Losing to a male while infested will cause him to either inseminate the female through anal sex(if one is present) or rape Steele with the tentacle-like tongues of its larger form(if no female is present).
Victory against a sand worm gives multiple choices:
- Use - Use him to sate your anal desires.
- Will fertilize a female parasite if present.
- Capture - Capture the male you've just fucked into submission.
- If infested with a female parasite, anal sex inseminates her as usual and vaginal includes a few lines about her being annoyed with you.
- A male butt bug can only be captured once and is considered a Key Item.
- Bionahole - Use the female as a temporary bionahole.
- Steele must have a penis and cannot be a taur.
- Offer Butt - Willingly let the female enter your butt. There might be a fight ig you already have one inside you, or some other occupant
- Steele must have read the codex page for Sand Worms. Note that simply being infested once does not unlock this option for further encounters.
- The parasite's coloring is stated near the bottom of the victory scene. It's notably easier to find this description in the victory scene than it is in the loss scene, which buries it somewhere in the middle.