Universal Credit Symbol
|Defensive Target||Self, Ally, Hostile|
The universally accepted digital currency across most galaxy systems. Credits can be used in different fashions, but the common uses of the credit is by way of instant wireless transfer or through the use of credit chits. In slang, credits are also known as "creds"--or colloquially known as "dollar", "cash", and "money".
At current, there is not enough information to determine the history of this currency.
This currency is used for most exchanges, usually in places where there is sentient life with established industrialized societies. Even the simplest of economies are able to adapt the use of credits. Credits have been widely popular due to its reliability and speed of instant transfers.
- Credit Chit - The credit chit is a fashion of using credits in a physical form and come in a variety of shapes, sizes and types. Limits can be programmed from a user's credit account settings to dictate how many credits each chit is worth. Usually users will have it set to the default setting. For those who want to carry less chit for a higher credit value, they run the risk of losing large amounts of credits if the chit is lost or stolen. Tangible objects that store credit value is very handy in case instant transfers, automatic teller machines, or credit banks aren't nearby or readily available; especially useful for traveling adventurers, businesspeople, and tourists.
- Wireless Credit Transfers - The next popular method is wireless transfers. To enact this transaction, the users only need to exchange account information by way of credit account scans and provide the value to be exchanged. Large sums of credit value is usually exchanged in this way because of its speed and security.
Using credits as a base value currency simplifies many economies and most large societies who adapt to the currency tend to fair better than those that do not. Smaller societies may manage with or without the use of credits, as bartering systems fair just as well. Though the officially-determined base value remains pretty constant over several years, the interpretation of value may vary between planet to planet, system to system. Some vendors may adjust their prices from the base value of a product due to their economic climate and how they interpret the value of the credit; which makes it easy for a shopkeeper to mark up and down prices overall. Those who work in the smuggler profession and deal with credit value all the time can usually spot this and bargain for more even pricing.
Depending on how one pays with credits, there are possible disadvantages to using such a currency.
- All transactions are final.
- As with most digital currencies, cases of computerized hacking are an issue.
- Though very rarely does it happen given the security of the algorithmic decoding that needs to be done in accessing the credits' raw value.
- This currency is universally accepted, but not strictly enforced, so some places may refuse transactions involving credits.
- A transaction that exclusively requires the use of credits may not be open to a bartering system of trade.
- Carrying credits on a loose, physical device or on chits have a higher rate of being stolen.
- Some types of credit chits have security measures in place (like DNA or biometric scanners) to prevent theft, but mass-produced varieties do not have such features.
- There have been reports of varmints eating credits.
So far, in universe, the alternate currencies mentioned in-game are:
- Federation silver - Main currency for the Scarlet Federation.
- During April Fools credits become dogecoins.